Oof, this is a hard one. This exercise is from Seth Godin’s Udemy Freelancer course, exercise 13. I can see how some people would start this course and not finish or not post their answers publicly as Seth says to do. It’s hard to be this honest with yourself! But the timing is actually good for me since I’m done with rethiking my brand and am now just putting the new tools in place to announce that to the world. Four months ago though I’m not sure I would have been able to do this one…publicly anyway.
Seth says, “Compared to others who do what you do, rank yourself on: reputation, knowledge, expertise, tools and handiness.” I’ll use a scale of 1 -5.
- Reputation: I’m well known to my clients but not to the greater community that I live in. My self-score: 2.
- Knowledge: Whether it’s When Survivors Give Birth trauma-informed training or Bang It Out! coaching, I know my stuff well. My self-score: 4.
- Expertise: …and I’m good at it. Better than most I’ve seen including some who have trained me and others who do what I do. My self-score: 4.
- Tools: I’ve got ’em! And the ones I have are my own like my personal values discovery exercises that I use with BIO! coaching clients and in my personal growth workshops. So they not only work but they are unique and completely mine. My self-score: 4.
- Handiness: I wasn’t sure exactly what Seth meant by this but then I remembered Lecture #6 when Seth talks about the 5 kinds of freelancers. Level #2 was the handyman: she gets the job because she’s handy, the easiest one to grab. That’s definitely not me. Most people find me by referral not a Google search. My self-score: 1.
Then, Seth asks, “What will you invest in developing?”
Reputation. I want more people in my community to know who I am and what I do.
More tomorrow! Thanks for reading and for your support.